|French themed pillow with polymer clay buttons|
Here's what you need:
1. A throw pillow form... you could recover any that you might already have to get a fresh look.
2. A piece of light colored heavier fabric and matching thread. You'll need to measure your pillow to figure how how much you need.
3. A piece of wide, heavier lace to go across the top of the pillow if desired.
4. Avery T-shirt transfer paper for inkjet printers. Just follow the directions on the package for applying the graphic to your material. DO NOT try and print with a laser printer. You will muck up your printer (and perhaps even ruin it) as the transfer paper will melt in your printer from the heat.
5. You can find French (and other) themed graphics at the Graphics Fairy. There are some wonderful graphics there. Just remember to reverse it before you print it onto to the transfer paper !! I don't know how many times I have forgotten to do that in the past...
6. Large buttons. I made the buttons out of polymer clay ... they are quite large... about 2" in diameter... but you could use any large buttons you may have in your button box... and to add to the pillow's charm, they don't have to match!!
Measure the circumference of your pillow form from top to bottom and all around. Add 1" seam allowance. Now measure the width and add 1" seam allowance on both sides. Using these measurements, cut this piece out.
On the right side of the material, transfer your graphic to the top of the material leaving enough room for the lace and generous seam allowance ABOVE it.
Place the lace between the graphic and seam allowance. Sew down.
Fold the material right sides together. Stitch one end and the top of the material. Turn inside out. Insert your pillow. Add the buttons on top of the lace catching the pillow insert as you do so. This will help anchor the bigger, heavier buttons. Stitch the remaining end by hand. That's it... DONE!! Wrap it up and put it under the tree....